Do we need a Feeding Assessment?
Your child may benefit from a feeding assessment if you have noticed the following:
- Poor weight gain
- Choking, gagging or coughing at mealtimes
- Problems with vomiting while trying to eat
- Difficulty transitioning from baby food purees
- Difficulty accepting table food solids or transitioning to the next texture
- Difficulty transitioning from breast/bottle to a cup
- Avoiding foods of a specific texture or food group
- Eating less than 20 foods at the age of 2 years
- Crying or arching at most mealtimes
- History of eating and breathing coordination issues, with ongoing respiratory problems
- You describe your child is a ‘fussy eater’ or ‘picky eater’ on more than 2 child health care checks
- Mealtimes always feel like a battle
- Your child is difficult to feed.
Comprehensive Feeding Assessment
- 120 minute assessment with a Speech Pathologist at the Feeding Clinic
- An evaluation of your child’s feeding including an assessment of their eating/drinking skills
- Assessing your child’s response to new and non-preferred foods
- Obtaining your child’s medical and developmental history
- Evaluating your child’s current challenges and behaviours at mealtimes
- Evaluating how your family interacts around foods and mealtimes
- Outlining major findings of the assessment and develop a therapy plan for your child.
- A written report is recommended and can be provided following the appointment.
- We offer additional services that you may want to consider including an assessment of your child’s sensory system in the large gym with an Occupational Therapist and an evaluation of your child’s energy needs and growth by an offsite Dietician.
Feedback & Mealtime Training Session
- Feeding assessments are followed by a 120 minute parent only feedback session with the Speech Pathologist.
- This is an opportunity to talk about the assessment findings in detail and recommendations for treatment to suit you and your child’s needs.
- You will learn about feeding development and how you can support your child’s eating/drinking and feeding development.
Infant Feeding Assessment
- 60-90 minute assessment with a Speech Pathologist at the Feeding Clinic or home.
- Specialised service for babies.
- An evaluation of your child’s feeding including an assessment of their eating/drinking skills.
- Obtaining your child’s medical and developmental history.
- Evaluating your child’s current challenges at mealtimes.
- Providing recommendations on the day to help you support your child with feeding.
- Additional phone support can be provided following the appointment.
Oral Eating & Drinking Care Plan (OEDCP) Assessment
- 60-90 minute assessment of your child’s eating and drinking skills.
- Development of mealtime recommendations into an OEDCP. The OEDCP is a written document developed by an approved healthcare professional with recommendations to maximise your child’s safety at mealtimes. An OEDCP is required for any child identified as having feeding difficulties who attends a childcare/education setting.
- Training for education/childcare staff can be arranged.